The depth of the crisis in Puerto Rico following Hurricane Maria is apparent from the island’s obliterated roads, downed power lines, tainted water, and nonexistent cell service. Grief and dismay over the widespread destruction has led to calls for aid and assistance for the ravaged island, but long after the shock fades, the staggering task of rebuilding the island will remain.
- First female Black Rod in 650-year history: Sarah Clarke is appointed to House of Lords job November 17, 2017
- Lebanese PM to meet Macron in attempt to defuse tension over Saudi ‘hostage’ claims November 17, 2017
- Ireland prepares to hold out for UK Brexit concessions November 17, 2017
- Papua New Guinea explorer Benedict Allen evacuated by helicopter and treated for suspected malaria November 17, 2017
- Methodist Church appoints first transgender minister November 17, 2017
- Theresa May warned by policy chief Tories risk being defined as party of ‘nostalgia’ and ‘lazy privilege’ November 17, 2017
- Rare newt bred outside Catalonia for the first time at UK zoo November 17, 2017