Now entering its second half-century, the Antarctic Treaty seems to have withstood its tests. International Antarctic science is more robust than ever. Since 1985, the treaty has added another 15 members. The 47 treaty nations represent two-thirds of the world’s human population and four-fifths of its economy.
- Cambridge University launches staff sex liaisons register October 21, 2017
- Spanish government crisis meeting decides which powers to strip from Catalonia October 21, 2017
- Storm Brian: 60mph winds strike west coast of UK amid warnings of power cuts, floods and travel delays October 21, 2017
- Munich stabbing: Several injured in knife attack, suspect on the run October 21, 2017
- Storm Brian: UK lashed by gale force winds, in pictures October 21, 2017
- Jews and Arabs unite to try to save Jerusalem’s Hill of Evil Counsel from being turned into luxury flats October 21, 2017
- Egypt: dozens of police killed in desert ambush by militants October 21, 2017